News

One in three electric blankets declared unsafe following recent tests

One in three electric blankets declared unsafe following recent tests

Recent local electric blanket tests resulted in more than one in three of those tested being declared unsafe. 

Wiltshire Council’s trading standards team worked with G.E.M.S (SW) Limited of Plymouth to provide free electric blanket tests over the course of two days earlier this month. 

A total of 53 blankets were tested with 19 failing and declared unsafe for further use. Most failed as they had exceeded their working life – with guidance stating this should be no more than 10 years.  

Several other blankets were given advisory warning such as ensuring all ties were used to prevent creasing (which can cause damage to the elements) and one needed a fuse replacing as it posed a fire hazard. 

Wiltshire Council cabinet member for public protection, Jerry Wickham said: “As we head into the colder part of the year more and more people will be using their electric blankets. Our advice is that if people have any concerns about their safety they should get them tested, which at the very least will provide some peace of mind.  

“We’re pleased to have helped some people through these events and as the results show, they were very worthwhile.” 

For more information and safety advice people should visit www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk.  For advice on how people can stay warm in their homes people should visit www.warmandsafewiltshire.org.uk or call 0300 003 4575.

 


Report this If you feel this post is unsuitable or offensive, report it to us
If you'd like to share this post...

Post a comment